It has been a long while between our blog posts, I am so sorry about that! We have been keeping up with orders, controlling quality, and developing a better 4 layer mask simultaneously, so it's been busy to say the least. We have finally been able to revamp the 4 layer mask to be superior than the original and I just can't wait to tell you all about it.
We have gotten so many great comments about the 4 layer masks and also received many constructive and insightful criticisms. In learning from the collective experience, our new 4 layer masks have improved drastically in terms of fit and ease of care/use. Each change was thought out meticulously and I am so proud to finally release this new and improved face mask.
Details of Improvements:
1. Change of Nose Wire Material: Our new nose bridge bar holds much more stably in the mask and the sewing is less stressed since it is no longer under heavy stress by the movement of the nose wire. The very rounded ends and edges make for a gentle fit.
2. Nose wire: It is now rounded, flat, and easier to use. A wider nose bar is remarkably better than the wire we had before. When we first started, the wire was much more makeshift than we wanted, but that's because these nose bars were not yet available to the market, either totally sold out or just not offered by many local and even online companies. The comfort and strength of this is like night and day.
3. Size of the Face Mask: Has shrunk as we discovered that many of our customers have been semi-extending the masks to fit their face. It is 8 inches from cheek to cheek and 6 inches when fully extended from nose bridge to under the chin. We of course intended that all of our customers can fully extend the face mask from nose to under the chin without bumping throats or toggling in and out of our field of vision with the original, but that wasn't always achieved. For most, it was a minor annoyance, but we are glad to have solved it while still making this mask mostly 1 size fits all. We may need to make an XL size, but only if you request it! Send us an email at email@example.com if you need an XL size. If we get enough emails and support, we will be able to come out with a bigger size with a good choice of designs.
4. Adjustable Ear Loops: Thank goodness! Between the many many (many) different face shapes and sizes, the part that was most difficult for all of us with small or larger faces is that the elastics just weren't right. We even ran into some issues with one batch was too small for anyone! This new 4 layer face mask allows us to cut longer elastics, tie it in a knot, and allow you to fine tune it into the perfect size!
5. Elastic Longevity: Elastics wear out eventually, this is far. more expedited when the elastics are very thin and often used. In addition, sewing can also have a stressful impact on the elastic band. Our new adjustable ear loop style allows the stretching and stress on the elastic bands to be both fluid and more evenly distributed. No sewing to puncture or cut any parts of the elastic.
6. Last but not least, Washing: Since we changed to the adjustable elastic, we no longer need to serger the edges of the mask. The serger did the job, but it was exposed string that could snag or break at any point along the edge. While it still does the job, it can sometimes look messy or tickle our faces if not trimmed. When washing, these strings can break if washed roughly. Now, we have folded the sides and sewn it together, creating a tightly made edge and not having any exposed thread. Thank goodness, it is one less item to worry about. We still recommend hand washing, but you don't need to be so gentle with this new nose bar and you can be rougher on the edges around the elastic band. For machine wash, you will find success if you put it in a mesh laundry bag and a gentle cycle.
This brand new face mask has been improved so drastically, I hope that you'll be able to give it a try soon!
All these improvements are to make being safe much more comfortable, convenient, and smart. I hope that this new and improved 4 layer mask brings you both safety and peace of mind.
Take care and stay well!